Come join our first ever Gamejam launching the 6th of June!!
After 7 consecutive months of voxedit contests, we think it’s about time to test your gamemaker skills!
Isn’t it about time The Sandbox gets some great tower defense games?
The Tower Defense Game Jam Rules
Using The Sandbox’s Game Maker software, you will need to create the experience of your choice, on the tower defense gaming theme.
Build a tower defense game with potential hordes attacking your walls or NPCs following a path to defeat your base / castle. No limitations on what you can do! How will you protect your base, grow and expand your base?
- Can’t use previously made games, it must be a new experience.
- Your entry must be designed in the Game Maker software.
- Your entry must have tower defense elements in it.
- Your entry CAN’T include assets you’ve created yourself.
- You may ONLY use OFFICIAL Sandbox Assets
- Your entry must have some playability (quests, missions you name it).
- Your entry must be unique and not a direct copy of any existing experiences. (similarities are fine, exact copies are not!)
- Spamming the gallery with a number of low quality experiences just to try and fit into the rankings places may result in all your entries being disqualified.
- Not completing the submission steps correctly (see below) may result in your entry being ineligible.
- The judging will be done by The SandStorm staff and partners.
The prize pool consists of a total of 10,000 $SAND split the following ways.
- 1st place: 5,000 $SAND.
- 2nd place: 2,000 $SAND.
- 3rd place: 1,500 $SAND.
- 4th to 5th place: 750 $SAND each.
The Important Dates
This is a month long Game Jam but don’t wait till the last minute!
- The Game Jam begins on June 6th, 2022.
- The deadline to complete and submit your entry is the 10th of July 2022, at 11:59pm UTC.
- Submissions will be gathered from: 6th June till 10th July.
- The voting will take place between the 13th July and 1st August 2022.
- The results will be announced on the 8th August 2022.
Submitting Your Entry
We will be using the Game Maker “Gallery” feature as a form for submissions.
You MUST upload your game to the gallery following the GIF tutorial below and using the title: “SANDSTORM — Game Title”
You MUST also submit your game to the following form link:
WARNING! If you submit your entry to the Game Jam gallery but do not submit it to the form linked above (or vice versa), your entry will not be eligible!
Slow down — check everything! Take the time to submit a qualitative experience, rather than rushing and submitting a half-finished experience.
Game Jam FAQ
Who can join the Game Jam?
Anyone who is eligible to create an account at The Sandbox can enter the Game Jam.
Are teams or studios allowed?
Yes. You are welcome to work independently or as a team/studio of no more than 4 members per team.
Can we use custom ASSETs in our Game Jam entries?
NO. You are ONLY allowed to use official Sandbox assets
Where can I get the Game Maker from?
Here is the official link:
Where can I find guides for the Game Maker and VoxEdit software?
Check out the tutorials page on The Sandbox’s official knowledge base here: https://sandboxgame.gitbook.io/the-sandbox/other/tutorials. It’s super effective, if you are a beginner!
You can also join our Discord community, where creators often share tips with each other and post their own tutorials. You can also share your entry with the community for feedback, if you wish. The Discord community link is:
You should also check out the builders series on our twitch channel, Gamedizzy is regularly doing tutorials, and available to reply to any question you might have:
The entries are judged on a 100 points scale divided into the following categories:
- Overall Idea — (25 Points)
- Level/Game Design — (25 Points)
- Creativity — (25 Points)
- Playability — (25 Points)
- Bonus Points: Wow Factor — (Up to 25 Points Extra
Do you have what it takes to win this Game Jam?
Submit your entry and see what surprises SandStorm has in store for you!